Head of Faculty of Management, Professor of Strategy at Cass Business School
Cass Business School
Gianvito Lanzolla is Professor of Strategy at Cass Business School, City University London, which he joined in April 2006. He currently serves as the Head of the Faculty of Management and he is the Founder and Director of the Cass’s Digital Leadership Research Centre (DLRC). Before joining Cass Business School, Professor Lanzolla served on the faculty of the London Business School. Over the years, Professor Lanzolla has had several visiting appointments at leading business schools including Hyderabad’s Indian School of Business, Berlin’s ESMT and University of Bologna.
Professor Lanzolla’s research is around competitive advantage, and its persistence, in rapidly changing technological and institutional environments. His articles have appeared in leading outlets including: Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Production and Operations Management, Long Range Planning, Journal of Management, Business Strategy Review and Harvard Business Review. Professor Lanzolla’s research has won several academic prizes and has been widely featured in the business media – e.g. Financial Times, the Economist, CNBC, CCTV, Wall Street Journal - and in policy papers.
Professor Lanzolla has directed and delivered several bespoke executive education programmes and has contributed as an advisor to numerous Fortune 500 and fast-growing companies. Companies include Allianz, Barloworld, Bank of New York-Mellon, Vodafone India, Mizhuo, Unicredit, BBC, Sky UK, Axel-Springer, Times of India, DePersgroep, British Telecom, IBM, Vodafone group, Microsoft, Ericsson, Anglo-American, Alturki, KION, Vaillant, ING and the National Bank of Abu Dhabi. He has also delivered almost one hundred keynote speeches to companies and institutions around the world.
Professor Lanzolla teaches Strategic Leadership, Diversification & Growth Strategy, Corporate Organisation and Leading Digital Transformation to Executive and Full Time MBA students, both in Cass’ London and Dubai campuses. He also leads the Digital Innovation MBA programme in Silicon Valley. He has yearly been awarded several teaching excellence prizes including the 2015 City University’s Award for Teaching and Learning Excellence, the 2012 City University’s Student Voice Award and the 2009 Cass Business School’s Award for Teaching and Learning Excellence.
Professor Lanzolla holds a PhD in Strategic Management and an MSc in Mechanical Engineering (Dean’s list). Before joining academia, he worked as a consultant and was the co-founder and Managing Director (1999-2001) of e-change Srl, an e-business solution provider that he later sold to an Italian software company.
MSc and PhD.
Head of the Faculty of Management, City University London, London, Jan 2016 – present
Visiting Professor, London Business School, Sep 2013 – Aug 2014
- Leverhulme Research Fellow, The Leverhulme Trust, 2004 – 2006
- Fellow, Italian National Research Council, 2003
Memberships of Professional Organisations
- Member, Strategic Management Society, Jan 2006 – present
- Member, Academy of Management, Jan 2003 – present
- City University London (2015) VC's Teaching and Learning Excellence Award
- VC's Teaching and Learning Excellence Award (short-listed)
- Strategic Management Society (2012) Best Paper Award Selection
- City University London (2011) Student Voice Award Nominee
- Student Voice Award Nominee, City University London
- Cass Business School (2009) Teaching and Learning Excellence Prize
- Teaching and Learning Excellence Prize, Cass Business School.
- Spanish Academy of Management (ACEDE) (2009) Best paper award, Strategy Division
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) (2008) Top Ten downloaded paper
- Top Ten downloaded paper, SSRN’s list for Blackwell Publishers Journals,
- Cass Business School (2008) Outstanding contribution to research
- Outstanding contribution to research, Cass Business School.
- City University London (2008) Prize for excellence in research
- Prize for excellence in research, City University London.
- EurOMA-POMS conference (2003) Honourable Mention
- Business Models
- Digital Economy
- Innovation & Creativity
- LeadershipStrategic Management
- Technology Management
Over the last few years, Gianvito has even more firmly established himself as a leading global thought leader shaping the academic fields of technology strategy and business digital transformation. On these topics, he has published, as the first author, two articles in the top 4* elite management journals (Academy of Management Journal and Journal of Management). Gianvito has also published other three papers in 3* journals and edited as a guest editor a special issue on ‘New market entry strategies’ in a 3* journals.
- Digital transformation and strategy
- New market entry strategies and first mover advantage
- Replication and scalability of excellence
Journal Articles (14)
- Lanzolla, G. and Giudici, A. (2017). Pioneering strategies in the digital world. Insights from the Axel Springer case. Business History, 59(5), pp. 744–777. doi:10.1080/00076791.2016.1269752.
- Giachetti, C. and Lanzolla, G. (2016). Product Technology Imitation Over the Product Diffusion Cycle: Which Companies and Product Innovations do Competitors Imitate More Quickly? Long Range Planning, 49(2), pp. 250–264. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2015.05.001.
- Gomez, J., Lanzolla, G. and Maicas, J.P. (2016). The Role of Industry Dynamics in the Persistence of First Mover Advantages. Long Range Planning, 49(2), pp. 265–281. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2015.12.006.
- Lanzolla, G. and Frankort, H.T.W. (2016). The online shadow of offline signals: Which sellers get contacted in online B2B marketplaces? Academy of Management Journal, 59(1), pp. 207–231. doi:10.5465/amj.2014.0051.
- Fosfuri, A., Lanzolla, G. and Suarez, F.F. (2013). Entry-timing strategies: The road ahead. Long Range Planning, 46(4-5), pp. 300–311. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2013.07.001.
- Fosfuri, A., Lanzolla, G. and Suarez, F. (2013). Introduction to the special issue on entry timing strategies. Long Range Planning, 46(4-5), pp. 297–299. doi:10.1016/j.lrp.2013.07.002.
- Lanzolla, G. and Suarez, F.F. (2012). Closing the technology adoption-use divide: The role of contiguous user bandwagon. Journal of Management, 38(3), pp. 836–859. doi:10.1177/0149206310369938.
- Fosfuri, A., Lanzolla, G. and Suarez, F. (2012). Market Entry Timing. Lond Range Planning .
- Anderson, J. and Lanzolla, G. (2010). The digital revolution is over. Long live the digital revolution! Business Strategy Review, 21(1), pp. 74–77. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8616.2010.00650.x.
- Lanzolla, G. and Anderson, J. (2008). Digital transformation. Business Strategy Review, 19(2), pp. 72–76. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8616.2008.00539.x.
- Suarez, F.F. and Lanzolla, G. (2008). Considerations for a Stronger First Mover Advantage Theory. Academy of Management Review, 33(1), pp. 269–270. doi:10.5465/AMR.2008.27752960.
- Suarez, F.F. and Lanzolla, G. (2007). The role of environmental dynamics in building a first mover advantage theory. Academy of Management Review, 32(2), pp. 377–392.
- Suarez, F. and Lanzolla, G. (2005). The half-truth of first-mover advantage. Harvard Business Review, 83(4), pp. 121–127.
- Tsikriktsis, N., Lanzolla, G. and Frohlich, M. (2004). Adoption of e-processes by service firms: An empirical study of antecedents. Production and Operations Management, 13(3), pp. 216–229
- 2009 - 2014, MSc Management, Director
- 2016 - present, Faculty of Management, Associate Dean & Director
- January 2016 - present, Faculty of Management, Head
Editorial Activities (2)
- Long Range Planning, Associate Editor, 2010 – present.
- Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Management Science, Organisation Science, Journal of Management, Journal of Operations Management, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, POMS, Journal of Management Studies, Referee, 2006 – present.
Read about executive education
Alumnus of the Ecole normale supérieure; holds a Ph.D. (1990) from Sciences Po. She is Associate Fellow at the Centre d’études des monde russe, caucasien et centre-européen of the EHESS and member of the editorial boards of the Revue d’études comparatives Est-Ouest and of Archives de sciences soc...
Biography James Evans is a Professor in Geography whose research explores how cities learn to become smarter and more sustainable. He has published widely on urban environmental governance, with over 30 peer-reviewed papers and two authored books in the field and has held fellowships at UCLA and ...
Leading Strategic Growth and Change
Columbia Business School
The Positive Leader: Deep Change and Organizational Transformation
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Leading Digital Transformations
Cass Business School
Private Equity: Investing and Creating Value
The Wharton School
Leading People and Teams
Advanced Human Resource Executive Program
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Leading Digital Transformation
Strategic Human Resource Leadership
Rotman School of Management
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jan 31, 2022
The Manchester Leadership Development Programme
Alliance Manchester Business School
Manchester, United Kingdom
Looking for an expert?
Contact us and we'll find the best option for you.